Thursday, January 1, 2009

Reflecting on 2008

Being stormed in isn't always a bad thing...especially on new years day. It gives you an extended time of reflection. Number 1 topic in my head is Tdisc and the direction we are going to head in 2009. I'm going to use this blog to reflect on 115 days of tdisc training to this point.

Sept. 8/08 6:45 am- 3 guys (Tdiscadmiral, Tdisckree, Tdiscpye) met at the spa. Team Tdisc was created. Our first week was very trying...we all had our ups and downs...some quitting more than others. This email was sent on sept. 15th by Tdiscadmiral. Boys, I'm completely exhausted today. I think its from the swimming .

Sept. 17/08 6:45 am- Tdisc adds a new member (Tdiscgreggy). His positive attitude was a great fit for the 3 negative ones. He had this to say after day 1. Boys! I know it was my first day but I adrenaline is still running high, I will probably crash this afternoon but I am pumped up to go again tomorrow. Pye let’s get back on the horse, and hit the bike hard tomorrow. Frig boys, I am flying high right now. Greg (newest team member)

Sept. 18/08 the struggles continued as Tdisc was in desperate need of a leader. Tracey was pegged as the early leader but her poor attendance at workouts left the door open for a new leader. I had this to say about Tdisckree's leadership qualities. Like see there...that's poor qualities of a team captain. I bring a good effort today trying to get the ball rolling again and all he can do is keep the negativity creeping into my head by bringing up my past. He knows i'm fragile so I think that's why he targets me. We stopped at tim's today and he tried to coax me into getting a breakfast sandwich...knowing that i'm battling a food addiction. That's low. Anyways looking for redemption in the pool. Oh ya and by the way....my melt down ratio is down to 50%

Setbacks were a common occurance in 2008. On the 24th this was sent by tdiscadmiral.Team Discovery faced another huge setback today. Three days after apoor day of training on saturday morning captain and leader Kris Macpheewas up to his old tricks agian. Macphee was unable to finish todaysswim. On lookers have descibed todays event as horrific and completelyembarressing for Team Discovery, who are currently training for atriatholon. At times it looked like as if it was the first time he everswam. "This is another huge setback for our squad" says teammate and brotherRyan Macphee. "I had the same problem last week but I was able tobattle through it, hopefully he can to." Macphee declined to comment on todays events. He does however attend toaddress the media and his teammates with an email 12:30 Atlantic time. Speculation is that he may quit and retire. What does this mean forTeam Discovery and their quest for Triatholon 2009?

26th- Tdiscgreggy's positive attitude picks the team back up. Good day boys, looks like we are getting a hurricane on Sunday! I just wanted to say great effort today on everyone’s part. I feel we have become stronger as a team after a full week is complete.
On another note, I am not sure how the spa got my cell number but they contacted me about a cracked flutter board? Does anyone know anything about this? Let me know so I can call them back to get this fixed up. John I know you were discouraged by Tracey’s negativity last night but don’t worry we will overcome.


The pool seemed to be the big struggling point in the early going for Tdisc. Tdisckree was quoted saying. Just to inform the team....The MacPhee boys took a long hard look at the reality of the pool situation on the way home today. The good news is this ... we starred retirement in the face and laughed. We will now embark on a new training regiment. We will become one with the water. We will devote every day to swimming on top of our usual training regiment. We will do drills that will help us become more efficient in the pool. We looked at it this way... if a kid needs to learn how to skate do we line him up at the end boards and tell him to skate down and backs and expect him to get better. No...we do double skulling, push and glide, pumping. From here on out we will work on th fundamentals.I have comprised a list of drill and drill sets that should keep us going forever. Despite the positive instruction of "just breathe into the water" I feel i need to go to the basics.

Sept. 29/08- Tdisc learned to expect the unexpected. These two headlines will sum up the days events. New Hampshire Gazette: Mooseman frontrunner show's signs of weakness on day 15 . Team Discovery homepage: Streak ends at 14 "John Brioux has melt down on day 15."

Tdiscgreggy cracks. I just want to write my formal apology to team Discovery for my piss poor effort on Saturday. I am not a great biker, it is where I need the most work, but I did not come prepared. This will not happen again.

Oct. 2/08- tdiscgreggy still cracking. Well boys what can I say about the bike. If I didn’t retire after today, I never will. That was a battle boys holy frig, I will see that one hill in my nightmares. But I realized some things today, if we are going to do this I am going to have to step it up. Starting Monday my diet is changing, lifestyle and I am going to start 2 a days until I am in top form to be able to stay within a km of the rest of my team. Until that point you boys are going to have to push me, by not waiting for me and keep a fast pace.
I feel great right now boys, but oh so friggen tired. My legs hate me! And I can’t wait until Saturday.


This was also the day that we all realized that tdiscadmiral was possessed. When that old horse sees the barn...look out !!!"

The next couple weeks were pretty quiet for tdisc. 3 memebers were on a hockey trip to Ottawa.

Nov. 6/08- Our first day of spin class let to some controversy. Tracey had this to say. Just wanted to designate the hard hat of the day to Pye and Greg... couldn't pick between the two. Kris I'm designating you with A.D.D and you and John aren't allowed to sit beside each other in class anymore. Also Greg is really embarrassed to ask, but he's wondering if you could each sponsor him $5 to put towards his new relationship. It's very expensive.

Nov 10/08- tdisc continued its up and down month of nov. Just wanted to inform T-Dis of a few things :1. I almost suspended the entire team today...the performance was horrible. Didn't even put in a good sauna. I wanted to tell the guy off who gave me his lane in the pool. The following procedures will take place to keep my sanity. 1. Jacob is running practice and dryland tonight. 2. Tri workout tommorrow will be the following ; walkign to the end of the road to check for mail.3. Wednesdays triathlon workout - Don't even call me, I know ya's are going and if I feel up to it I'll be there. Don't care what we're doing...If I show up I'll be prepared for everything - including my road bike and helmet in the back seat.4. Don't even say the word coaching or anything that might remind me of it. . Good Bye.Kris ps. John - 14 laps ? Common - not even one of those counted. That's like me banking my 7 plus the one where I tried to stop you and Pye and drive ya's off course.

the rest of november was spent finding ourselves and getting into a rhythem. The summer schedule was a hot topic throughout this month.

Dec. 10/08- Tdisc makes a step in the direction of expansion. Timmy and domi showed up on time for there tryout day 1.

Dec. 11/08- Tdisc tryout is over. Tdisc remains at 4 members.

Dec. 16/08- DAY 100!!!!! who would have thought we would have made it this far.

Dec. 19/08- one member stumbles another shows his strength. Dear T.Disc
This is my formal apology for being absent this morning, especially since it was such a cold one. I once again let the peer pressures of the world get to me and could not legally drive home to prepare for the day. I was up at 6:30 driving around to find you during the run for support but was unsuccessful. I am very proud of our two members who not only took on mother nature but gave her a big “F YOU”.
I did not put tail a head of team disc I was talking to this girl last night and I was bragging about T Disc and she said “who is that?” I immediately turned around and walked away. I just hope I can eventually receive forgiveness from my two team members and I WILL be there tomorrow! Let me know where and when?
Tdiscg

Miami Tribune - "TDISC at MIT '10 FAR From Done Deal -

New york times- Team suffers yet another setback on day 103" " Admiral questions TDISC members (and wife's) commitment."

Journal Pioneer -"Disappointing day for TDISC : PEI may not send team to Ingonish in '09"

TSN - "Canucks, Habs Celebrate - TDISC in Disarray " Guardian -" Birchwood Teacher looses ears to frostbite, MacPhee brothers from Clyde River also in critical condition from early morning run"

Sportsnet Ticker - "Dallas places Avery on waivers, TDISC waives T. MacPhee, J. Doiron, T.Gairns-Brioux."

Alaska Morning Times : "IDITIROD GETS MORE DEADLY - ADMIRAL CONFIRMS FOR '09"

Jan.1/09- The hollidays are now over. They didn't come without a price. Injuries came in an abundance. Some were forced to take time off for ice and rest. What will 2009 bring for Tdisc? Will we add a new member? (Tracey) How many events will Tdiscadmiral win? and can he stay healthy?

150 days till the red isle relay
185 days till first triathlon

Its been a pleasure Tdisc. Look forward to blogging in '09.

Till next time,
Tdiscpye


"Dream Big"



1 comment:

  1. This blog is so inspirational. I have spent my workday thus far embarking on a rollercoaster ride of emotions with Tdisc. I think the blood relation to 1/2 of team discovery makes the heartache and joy that much more personal. I look forward to frequent updates on your progress. Best of luck,
    Buddy

    ReplyDelete