Thursday, September 10, 2009

Reflection from the Author

As I sit here with my shirt off, reflecting on a year that was...I can't help but think that this year was my coming out party. I began this journey as a guy who really could never get in shape and I guess the only way to do beat that was to tackle one of the worlds most gruesome sports. I have many people to thank for getting me to the point where I am today. First and foremost...my teammates. The boys that got up every single morning and encouraged Bryan not to quit again...and again. I just couldn't control my emotions...I don't know why...I just couldn't...and I do apologize for that. Second...the fans of the blog. You people who actually took time out of your day to read about the trials and tribulations of becoming a triathlete. In the end it was really the only reason why we didn't run when the gun went off in Fredericton. Finally I have to thank the people who scrolled up and down my body when I mentioned that I was going to be a triathlete.(I still do get that reaction, but now I have the numbers to back it up.) It made me quit a few times...but it also made me keep coming back.
Things I will most remember:

1. The night that I had to call the admiral and apologize because I roasted him in the blog and his feelings got hurt. (He took 2 days off and ran it out of himself.)

2. The pile of clothes that collected in front of the dryer, and in order to find something you had to kick it around a bit.

3. The day I got lapped 6 times!

4. The day the admiral found out he was going to be late for school and we were 30 minutes from home. So he put the hammer down and left Tdiscgreggy to fend for himself.

5. The first day flicker joined Tdisc. We went for a run in about 5 degree weather and sheets of rain and they dropped us after the 1st k. I still remember the comment of the day. "Nice day for a run."

6. The admiral just ripping up university avenue trying to get back before his ears got frostbite.

7. The day we swam 4 wide trying to do 10 lengths, break, and then 10 lengths. I just remember the look on the guys face when he opened the door to the pool. It was like he was in shock...the waves were just smashing over the sides.

8. Our first team bike ride when the admiral got dropped. His friggen gears wouldn't work on the hills. When a couple friends stopped by and asked how it went...the admiral responded in a more vulger way..."I sucked...."

9. The day we invited Jared Stretch along and tdiscgreggy took out his front spoke. Just after the admiral tried to run him into the ditch. This came after we dropped him when he broke the wind for 20 minutes. It was a quiet ride home!

10. Crossing the line in Fredericton!

When you accomplish a goal it's one of the best feelings in the world. Especially when you work so hard for it. I've learned a lot over the past year but I've learned that quitting will never get you anywhere in life. I quit 13 times and the worst days of my life followed. The scary thing about last winter was...I looked forward to my next day with Tdisc. I've accomplished a lot over this past year...

1. My goal was to drop some weight over the winter...I dropped 29lbs and 19 inches!

2. I couldn't run 5k when I started...my first 10k was 1hour 2minutes. I can now run 10k in under 46 minutes!

3. When I started swimming at the spa I couldn't make it 15m...after 156000m of training I can now swim at least 1500m consecutively!

4. My goal was to do a triathlon...I have now completed 2 with respectable times!

Tdisc really does change lives! We're not lying when we say it's a lifestyle. It really is! To those who say that you could never do it...i'm living proof that you can do anything if you set your mind to it. This is just the beginning of Tdisc. My goals this year are:

1. Run a 42 minute 10k.
2. Complete a triathlon in 2h25m or less.

My team goals are:

1. Someone will run a 37 minute 10k
2. Someone will do a triathlon in less than 2h20m.

I still can't believe people actually read this! Oh ya...and did I mention that I did all this while battling a food addiction?

Tdiscpye

"Getting a chance to practice six months against my own teammates, who I consider the best triathletes in the world, there's no way I couldn't improve." -Lorrie Fair

"I've worked too hard and too long to let anything stand in the way of my goals. I will not let my teammates down and I will not let myself down." -Mia Hamm

"Winner never quit, and quitters never win."

"Why Not?" -Tdisc

No comments:

Post a Comment