Saturday, November 14, 2009

Chi Running

I ran into an island marathoner not too long ago and he suggested that I read a book called "Chi Running." He's now putting up some really fast times and he's going to Boston for the second time. So I decided to take his advice and began to read the book. It's a revolutionary approach to effortless, injury-free running. Most of us tend to power through runs with our legs. This book teaches you to lean and use your core which makes your running much more efficient. So I have been reading the book for a few days now and today was the first day in which I tried to use the chi style. My style up until now has been the "get your legs going, arms swinging, and finish as fast as u can." Bull, the admiral, and I were the only ones able to go for the run this morning. We set out for an early 11k run. I was concerned about how sore my legs had been from the week so I was really hoping for this Chi running to work. Throughout the whole run I was focusing on my posture and the mid foot strike, as well keeping my pelvis out. It was confusing and I often kept falling back into my old hunched posture. By the end of the run I didn't have to think about it as much and i'm not just saying this but it was much more effortless on the legs. I didn't find that I was any faster....It just didn't seem to hurt as much. My legs felt great and I seemed to breath much more easily.

Needless to say the run went well...I stretched for a long period of time following the run. I've worked more on my flexibility lately and it's been paying off. Tomorrow is a much needed day off for the boys.

Just a reminder that there is only 28 days left to donate to the 1st annual Tdisc Santa Claus Run. The total continues to rise. We are quickly approaching the support needed to supply 3 families in need.

till next time,
Tdiscpye

"Win or lose you will never regret working hard, making sacrifices, being disciplined or focusing too much. Success is measured by what we have done to prepare for competition." ---John Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment