Monday, May 25, 2009

Let the speeches begin!

Today's swim wasn't very difficult...we all did a lot of hanging off the sides talking about the week. Everyone left the pool a little bit earlier than usual...and Tdiscgreggy and I hit the hot tub for about 20 minutes...Tdisckree even stopped by to talk strategy. I just kinda wish I could have gotten in the pool and did a full swim....because all this talk about the RIR is ruining my nerves.

Over the next couple of days there will be a lot of speeches from Tdisc members, and from people involved in some sort of way. Today our Coach Tdisckree addressed the team prior to our morning swim...

Dear Tdisc members,

As Head Coach of TDISC and a member of Tdisc1 I just wanted to send a shout out to the members of TDISC. This will be a monumental week for Tdisc. We have to enjoy it, we have to embrace the pressure, and focus on the goal. The schedule for this week will be cut in half. We will have a run tommorrow which will include a few pick ups but will be no longer than 6k. Wednesday we will ride bike ( About 30 minutes with a few pickups.) Thursday will be a Tdisc mandatory day of rest. Friday will include an early morning bike and stretch. This will not be mandatory, however I urge all to attend. Based on past experience, I have trouble falling asleep the night before. I want to ensure that we keep consistant sleep patterns leading to the event. Friday evening we'll have a team meal followed by preperations and allow the opportunity for people to drop by Blue Heron to wish the team good luck. Saturday....will follow the theme " UNLEASH THE BEAST". This my friends will be the first real opportunity for the world to experience the animal known as "TDISC".


I don't know what to say really. I mean, 5 days till the biggest battle of our professional lives; all comes down to today. Well, we either get fired up now as a team or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play, till we're finished. We're in our tapering week right now gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here and get the crap kicked out of us; or we can fight our way back; into the light. We're gonna get ready one day at a time... One inch at a time.

Now I can't do it for you. I'm just the coach and just one member of the big 4. I look around and i see these young faces and I think. I made every wrong choice a 29 year old man can make. I peed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who has ever loved me except for Anne Marie and Eddie Carey. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old in life; things get taken away from you. That's part of life. But you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life's this game of inches. So is triathlon. Because in either game life or triathlon the margin for error is so small. I mean one half step too early or too late and you don't quite make it. One half inch too high or too low and you take in water. The inches we need are everywhere around us (On the bike, on the trail, in the water). They're in every break of the race; every minute; every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches, that's whats gonna make the friggin difference between winning and losing. Between living and dying. I'll tell you this in any fight, it's the guy who's willing to die who's gonna win that inch. And I know if I'm gona have any triathlon career at all , It's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch. Because that's what traithlon is. The six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You have to look at the guy next to you ( Admiral look at Pye, Pye Look at Admiral)( Greggy look at me). Look into his eyes. Now i think your gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows when it comes down to it; your gonna do the same for him.

That's a team gentlemen. And, either we heal, now as a team, or we will die as individuals. That's TDISC guys. That's all it is.

Now, what are you gonna do ?

TDK- "GIT R DONE....and KOKO".


Till next time,
Tdiscpye

"I get nervous when I don't get nervous. If I'm nervous I know I'm going to have a good show"- Beyonce knowles

1 comment:

  1. Great speech Kristopher.. you took it and you made it your own.. As a fan, I've never been so inspired..
    More importantly, I was wondering about the possibility of autographed TDisc Fan T's for the relay on Saturday.. I know Clarence Frizzell was really hoping to have one..
    -Buddy

    ReplyDelete