Thursday, May 14, 2009

Motivation by RookFlick

Motivation - a motivating force, stimulus or influence. It is a wonderful thing. We all have it or have had it, at different times in our lives and for different reasons. It can change during a year, during a month or even during a run. And for some, it remains a constant; a daily reminder of why you are doing whatever it is you are doing. It can get you off of a couch, through a tough time or up an impossible hill. It can give you chills, make you smile or make you cry. It is something that pushes you when you are weak. Whether your motivation is money, winning, fame, being a hero, losing weight or whatever, we all deal with it one way or another. I like to wear my motivation around my neck. They are just letters and numbers scratched into metal but this simple piece of metal has taken me a long way. It has made me push. It has made me cry. It has made me pray.

Fifteen years ago my friend and teammate broke his neck playing hockey after crashing into the boards. He broke several vertebrae and crushed his spinal cord leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. After spending a year in hospital recovering and learning how to live with his disability he finally came home. For me, this is what you would call a life changing experience. Andrew and I were inseparable for the next few years. We had class together, ate lunch together hung out after school and on weekends. I was absolutely amazed watching him eat a meal or play a video game with no use or feeling of his hands and fingers. Just straws to suck and blow into and large buttons to hit with his hands. What an amazing person. He has come a long way, he had to. Physically, he is limited. He has been in a wheel chair since he was 15 years old. He has feeling from his head to about midway down his chest and arms. That is it. Mentally, he is the strongest person I have ever met. Not once in fifteen years have I every hear one single complaint about his situation...not once. How do you react to the news that you may never walk again. That you have no feeling through seventy five percent of your body. I don't know. I have so many questions that I just don't know how to ask. I do know that it takes a very special person to endure something of this magnitude. Andrew has the most positive attitude, it is truly amazing. He is very good at making you forget that he is in a wheelchair. I love this guy so much and would do anything for him. I think about him constantly. He is "my" motivation. Every time I run, every time I complain, every time I struggle, I think of him. I think about his struggles. I think about not being able to scratch my neck in the middle of the night. I think about not being able to get up and walk to the fridge and grab something to eat. I realize that my struggles and my complaints are silly. I realize that he would give anything to be able to run up that hill with me. I realize that complaining is not going to do me any good. He gives me strength and energy and the will to carry on. He taught me that a positive attitude can take you anywhere you want to go. And that it is contagious. Not a single run goes by without him along the way with me. I am very fortunate to have him in my life. He is my hero. That is my motivation

RookFlick

3 comments:

  1. *gets off sorry ass, stops feeling sorry for herself and begins to work out*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have read this many times and still come back to it every now and then to put things in perspective. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete